CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »



So I, made lame by fortune's dearest spite,
Take all my comfort of thy worth and truth;
For whether beauty, birth, or wealth, or wit,
Or any of these all, or all, or more,
Entitled in thy parts do crowned sit,
I make my love engrafted to this store:
So then I am not lame, poor, nor despis'd,
Whilst that this shadow
doth such substance give
That I in thy abundance am suffic'd
And by a part of all thy glory live.
Look what is best,
that best I wish in thee:
This wish I have;
then ten times happy me!
Sonnet 27

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Pied Piper

I began weaving through the columns of wagons .. seeing who was and was not here. It was more than an icy cold that shivered through me ... Silk's children were here but not Silk. There were others besides hers. I checked each one then, not rousing or waking their slumbers.

I don't think I have ever felt anything so ... I had no words for how this felt and in my heart of hearts ... I hope you don't either.

In the morning, there would be a shift in the rows. They would remain close to the wagons of the kaiila clan and those would move up as well. Here was the future of the Tribe and somewhere else were the rest. I felt like the Pied Piper. I just sort of whispered to the wind .. 'They are safe. I'll help watch over them ... until you return.' Have you ever done that? Or maybe just had a feeling in that soft spot beneath your breast that calmed things? Here is the spoiler for everyone. I don't have any magical powers, I'm just a woman but then ... everyone knows women have a sense among themselves that no one really questions.

There wasn't much time to pluck through all that anyway. I was proud new caretaker for more than a baker's dozen, one of which I watched begin moving his things into my wagon. There's Me Too, Second Son of Duran who is close friend of Forth Son of Gideon. No, not that Gideon, the other one, Duran's brother. You thought there was only one? To him, there is one and only one that matters and I don't argue with him. Third Son of Duran is close friends with Me Too so they are always hanging around the older boys. Now add Silk's pride of little larls including Forth Son ... the red headed wonder, and toss the youngest brother of an arrogant warrior in there and it becomes interesting really quick. Did I not just ask friends a few days before if they could see me surrounded by children? I'm not sure which phrase best describes it all, 'Careful of what you wish for', or 'Here's your sign.'

Can't forget Tug. He was part of this new gathering and put his two coppers worth of opinion in when Wily and I had a terrible dispute over the urts. No way were there going to be any urts in my wagon ... snakes, lizards, worms and bugs I would put up with but NO URTS. Tug leaned over to tell the breaded Tuchuk pretty as you please ... 'Wench nags.' I was ready to snag an ear and half walk some of them back to another wagon ... didn't matter whose just not my private little sanctuary, letting them All know ... only one warrior called me wench. But there was that stop me in my tracks and try not to crack up when Cana's son said with aplomb ... 'See told you.'

0 comments: