CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »



So I, made lame by fortune's dearest spite,
Take all my comfort of thy worth and truth;
For whether beauty, birth, or wealth, or wit,
Or any of these all, or all, or more,
Entitled in thy parts do crowned sit,
I make my love engrafted to this store:
So then I am not lame, poor, nor despis'd,
Whilst that this shadow
doth such substance give
That I in thy abundance am suffic'd
And by a part of all thy glory live.
Look what is best,
that best I wish in thee:
This wish I have;
then ten times happy me!
Sonnet 27

Thursday, April 17, 2008

Making up lost time

We walked the narrow path,
beneath the smoking skies.
Sometimes you can barely tell the difference
between darkness and light.
Do you have faith
in what we believe?
The truest test is when we cannot,
when we cannot see.
...
It won't rain all the time
The sky won't fall forever.
And though the night seems long,
your tears won't fall, your tears won't fall,
your tears won't fall
forever.
~Jane Siberry

There had been many who stopped by the row of Midnight Wagons during the move. Some came by to see how I was doing, some to share the warmth of a fire and congenial conversations, but the fact is they cared and without having to say so, they showed me that they did. I, myself, rode or walked ahead each day to bring meals, gifts, or to see how others were doing. I usually made the visits brief preferring my isolation but one of those trips became a turning point.

A true friend is one that will tell you to get yer arse up, dust yer self off and get over it. These were the things that Kam had done ... not in those exact words but in his own ever sweet solicitous way. If you know the man you have an idea of what I'm saying. It all began and pretty much ended with the suggestion of moving my wagons up where they belonged. He had a point, the closer I was to the front, the quicker could I set up and relax when we reached the southern plains. The bonus would be less dust between here and there to deal with.

I'm smart enough to know those who have offered good advice and would be much wiser in heeding it. The commander was not a man to repeat himself so there was no hesitation to do as he said. In fact, I moved the wagons close to his with his approval.

It is all a matter of trust. There are those that have proven themselves to be good friend, ones that I now consider closer than blood. Sadly enough, there are those that I know not to, but knowing is its own arsenal.

Are the quivas sharp?

One would keep them so.

0 comments: