When a merely honest man appears he is a comet--his fame is eternal--needs no genius, no talent--mere honesty ... Mark Twain
I couldn't help singing, so much so that Me Too began singing right along with me as I helped him ready for his furs. "Catch a falling star and put it in your pocket .. save it for a rainy day ..." There was an excitement coursing through him that I'd not seen before and it touched at something inside. He was actually going to turn in without any trouble tonight so he could get up bright and early in the morning. He would too. There had been a meeting of two warriors, each with pride, arrogance and respect as men of station. A deal had been struck between the two. If Me Too helped ready the teams in the mornings, the other would see he had his first bosk.
When I had reached over to press a kiss to the boy's temple while I tucked him in, he touched my cheek then let the tip of his fingers touch the center of his chest. There was no need for words.
Wily still occupied my wagon .. he had since the declaration of his claiming. There is probably a pile of worms and bugs on the Ubar's steps ... brideprice paid in full for the right. I stole inside long enough to ease the small book from its hiding place, kissed the mop of red hair then made my way to the new wagon. At first it was not words that defiled the pristine beauty of the page but another of the shadings that took on life of their own. With every stroke of the marker, I let my thoughts have freedom. What came to mind most was a passage from Emerson of what success was.
What is success? To laugh often and much; To win respect of intelligent people and the affection of children. To earn the appreciation of honest critics and to endure the betrayal of false friends. To appreciate beauty; To find the best in others. To leave the world a bit better whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition. To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.
Respect, Honesty, Endurance. I hadn't known what I was going to say to him but it all came natural as he met the boy. Me Too is why I do not stray far from the fires to meet anyone. He is the importance of my life. Those times that I have come across anyone along the stream it has never been surreptitious, merely chance. Even that is rare. There was no need to confide the only reason I sought to speak to him more than once or twice had been at the urging of one that I looked up to. What had developed by doing so was spoken of honestly and without expectation of anything in return.
He had the right to know too that last time of meeting had been seen and this was now why I did not come closer, instead leaving suitable distance between us .. how was that put? ... proper. I was surprised that no one had spoken to him of that night. The cold distance I perceived around the fires had made me feel sure it had been. I did find a new strength in his words when he told me that if any have trouble with what transpired then they should address him. It was a subject that was now closed as far as I was concerned.
One of the things I have the most pride in, is honesty. In this we share something precious. He felt what I had told him was truth and he offered his own in return. Here, there was no surprise as I listened and I will always hold respect for the man for the openess of all he said. There was the same honesty that came when I spoke again. Those more important things in life came to bear in the topics .. that ended with my telling him, I am a strong woman. I have to be. I will not leave the boy .. alone .. again. I could wish the warrior happiness with sincerity, and it was good to hear that he believed I deserved someone that will respect me for the woman I am now.
See, I know the woman inside. Regardless whether any one else has faith in her .. I do.
Something from a place that is not now and time that is not here came to mind. There is no room within love for selfishness, it will burn away all except its purity in the flames of its brilliance and the rest will fall away as ash. There was something further that stoked a small ember to begin glowing within. Love is patient and kind. It is not jealous, boastful or arrogant. It is has no doubts or ask for anything in return. It isn't provoked and doesn't hold grudge. It rejoices in truth. It will bear all. It has strength in belief. It will always find hope and it will endure.
There was a wave of emotion that overtook me before I could catch up to Me Too at the wagon. Yes, it brimmed my lashes with threat several times but by the time my feet took the stairs of the platform I was singing. I knew where that spark had come from and I was running to meet it.
So I, made lame by fortune's dearest spite,
Take all my comfort of thy worth and truth;
For whether beauty, birth, or wealth, or wit,
Or any of these all, or all, or more,
Entitled in thy parts do crowned sit,
I make my love engrafted to this store:
So then I am not lame, poor, nor despis'd,
Whilst that this shadow
doth such substance give
That I in thy abundance am suffic'd
And by a part of all thy glory live.
Look what is best,
that best I wish in thee:
This wish I have;
then ten times happy me!
Sonnet 27
Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(51)
-
▼
April
(27)
- It makes you just smile
- Timbre Winds
- Just Ride Part Three
- Just Ride Part Two
- Just Ride
- Making up lost time
- Expression
- page 3
- interim
- What's in a name
- page 2
- page 1
- Live and let live
- Glorious Feeling
- Honesty
- Sketches
- Blank Pages
- Onward
- Grains of Sand
- Ferocious Beast
- Did you hear that?
- Horizon
- Regathering
- Life comes at you fast
- Have you met ...
- Pied Piper
- Head 'em up ... mooooove 'em out
-
▼
April
(27)
Tuesday, April 8, 2008
Honesty
Posted by Fairest of the all at 8:42 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment