Where love is great,
the littlest doubts are fear;
Where little fears grow great,
great love grows there.
~ Hamlet 3:2
A finger running its edge across my cheek was felt in the softer places inside. My own fingers reaching up to hold it there with tenderness. I couldn't stop the moisture that formed at my lashes, the tale telling of emotions refusing to hide. Searching for refuge in the dark eyes that held mine, she studied what she saw for a moment. So much the maternal mirror that it had stilled me there. In her own was the glimmer of knowing, of understanding, hearing a heart's beat. There was unspoken query that I let silence answer.
It felt selfish to take the time from tending to wagons, preparations of pyres and aligning Ebet's second wagon in with mine. Duran felt that of the two the warrior owned, that he would wish me to have it, the bosk and the kaiila with exception of his favored. He had no other family but me.
For now, there was a gentle pat on my hand and the bid to follow, it seemed tea was cure all for everything, this one lightly spiced. One thing I would learn, she told me, was caring for myself would insure there was strength enough to care for others, eat well, rest when there was time, laugh and carry a song in my heart. Everyone has a song inside about bosk and a few for the other important things as well. I wanted to lay my head in her lap and feel the stroke of soft hands through my hair, the reassurance that it would have brought. Perhaps she would have wished that too.
I felt I had taken enough of her time though she hushed me with a quiet reprimand and a bid for me to return when I could. I would enjoy that, purely selfishly, to soak her up, to savor just being around her and watching and learning. I promised to bring some browned sugar nut pastries and that was met with a warm smile. Before I turned to go, I felt something pressed to my palm though I didn't look until I was back within that little sanctuary once more.
It was a precious moment of quiet inside while the boys were helping see to the refitting of a new tongue and the girls were patching canvas. Unfurling my hand, revealed a small strip of parchment and a sentiment I had heard long ago. I smiled at the familiarity of the charcoal. I put it away safely and rose to help see everything readied once more for the trail.
Having to favor my arm merely aggravated me that I couldn't do more. I now had three wagons to care for, though one still belonged to Cana, twelve bosk, and three kaiila. Not how I would have wished the acquisition but there was still the pride of carrying part of Ebet on toward the horizon. The time which the wagons needed repair hadn't allowed much rest.
It would be late into the night before the blue kaiila wagon was finished. When morning came, all of our rolling homes would be there waiting for the dawn. Cana had made sure I ate earlier in the eve and since there were already two warm cuddlies in my furs, I found comfort in Wilybugs. While I ran the brush through my hair, I couldn't help reaching up to touch my cheek.
So I, made lame by fortune's dearest spite,
Take all my comfort of thy worth and truth;
For whether beauty, birth, or wealth, or wit,
Or any of these all, or all, or more,
Entitled in thy parts do crowned sit,
I make my love engrafted to this store:
So then I am not lame, poor, nor despis'd,
Whilst that this shadow
doth such substance give
That I in thy abundance am suffic'd
And by a part of all thy glory live.
Look what is best,
that best I wish in thee:
This wish I have;
then ten times happy me!
Sonnet 27
Blog Archive
-
▼
2008
(51)
-
▼
April
(27)
- It makes you just smile
- Timbre Winds
- Just Ride Part Three
- Just Ride Part Two
- Just Ride
- Making up lost time
- Expression
- page 3
- interim
- What's in a name
- page 2
- page 1
- Live and let live
- Glorious Feeling
- Honesty
- Sketches
- Blank Pages
- Onward
- Grains of Sand
- Ferocious Beast
- Did you hear that?
- Horizon
- Regathering
- Life comes at you fast
- Have you met ...
- Pied Piper
- Head 'em up ... mooooove 'em out
-
▼
April
(27)
Wednesday, April 2, 2008
Regathering
Posted by Fairest of the all at 12:50 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment