CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »



So I, made lame by fortune's dearest spite,
Take all my comfort of thy worth and truth;
For whether beauty, birth, or wealth, or wit,
Or any of these all, or all, or more,
Entitled in thy parts do crowned sit,
I make my love engrafted to this store:
So then I am not lame, poor, nor despis'd,
Whilst that this shadow
doth such substance give
That I in thy abundance am suffic'd
And by a part of all thy glory live.
Look what is best,
that best I wish in thee:
This wish I have;
then ten times happy me!
Sonnet 27

Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Glorious Feeling

The sound of an excited voice was what roused me from the peaceful dreams I was having. Long before the rest of the camp woke, one young warrior had been fed, the bosk hitched and was last seen running between the rows to keep his promise. I stood watching the dust settle even in the darkness. The last time I had seen such verve had been when Vao and Rusty began teaching him the things that had been lacking in his life. I remembered how surprised I was when Cana said he had returned from that venture and needed me in his life again. It was something I had not expected, not because I would have to turn loose once more but I had trusted those men to see that he was taught what was needed. When Vao went back out again, it was already planned that he would go with him.

It felt like a good day to saddle up and let the boy man the reins when he came back from the singer's wagons. It would be good for him to have more responsibilities. I had to smile watching. The air of confidence and the beginnings of arrogant pride suited him well. He kept vigil over the pulling team and called out to the riders with more gusto. We talked for a while in the distance afforded between the wagon and my mount. There were many things that were rumbling around in that young mind that we would discuss later when the wagons stopped. For now the more the day progressed, I would ride further apart leaving him to oversee the line of the three wagons.

Along the edges of the trail mingled within the brush and shrub, spring had begun to take its hold in miniature rainbows. A scattering of trumpet yellow blossoms caught in the wind to play along the top of the dirt and grass. Delicately petaled lavenders swayed and danced without any care in the world. I had the chance to notice them more. The wonders of the prairies is a magnificent sight to behold. The movement of the tribe over it is breathtaking.

I was told we would be crossing the river in the next few days. I'll be glad when we are on the other side. The bosk will have grass and begin to multiply. New champions will claim ubar of the grass tufts. There were places I wanted to see, breathe in the warm air. Find that little spot along the stream where the reeds grow tall and the water is deep. I'd like to ride across the openness there and feel the wind caress my cheeks.

Taking advantage of the spare time I had, I went to improve the art of self defense. I had the best of teachers and soon the awkward stance and hold of the weapon smoothed to a lethal grace. It was a lesson as much for concentration as it was craft of movement. Focus. Observing under pressure and distraction so that I did not leave myself open and exposed. Sage had stepped in to prevent a cocky warrior from interfering with the training leaving a beaten dung tush in the dirt. I was told to spend time after I finished with the kaiila each day to practice throwing. There was a hearty agreement that I would. I came away with my own new air of confidence, not just because I had heard the words well done.

It had been a good day, one that had a glorious feeling to it. I rode along side the columns with Sage right there with me, simply feeling a part of the world around me and enjoying every ihn.

0 comments: